Friday, October 28, 2011

INSANITY workout program- Weeks 2 and 3


Three weeks down on Insanity and I am warming up to, though not hot on the program for my readers.

As stated last week, I like the intensity of the program. If you are feeling lethargic (and who isn’t at 5am when Susan and I get up to do the workout), Shaun T is going to push you to get out of your funk.   I also love the creative new exercises I have learned such as bench press leg raises, power jumping jacks, standing sprints with hurdles, plank oblique knee raises, and ski jumps.  I also love that, when I am limited on time, I know I can still get a good return on my short investment.

There is one big issue about which I want to caution readers. You really need to know your body and pay attention to how you are doing the exercises. Shaun has you moving so fast that it is very easy to sacrifice form just to keep up. There are a lot of moves where you bend over and stand up while jumping.

For example, while watching my wife, I noticed she has a hard time squatting fast enough to get to the ground, so she compensates by bending forward at the back. Since she is also jumping and twisting at the same time, this can seriously compromise her back. There have been a few days where Susan has complained of her back, knees, and shoulders (in the area of the rotator cuff) being pretty painful. I recognize these symptoms as not being “normal” workout aches and soreness, so we have talked through modifying her form on some of the moves.

If you have minimal knowledge of proper body mechanics, be sure to really watch the leader, Shaun T, closely and have a mirror so you can keep an eye on your form. Don’t pay that much attention to the models, as they sometimes don’t have the best form either.

Now, I will go back to watching game 7 of the World Series. Go Cards!


No comments:

Post a Comment